12 Feb Developing a Positive Attitude in Marriage
Developing a positive attitude creates a context within which amazing things can happen! And I am not simply talking about mind-over-matter; I am talking about gaining new insights resulting in a renewed, optimistic perspective.
I have to make a clear distinction between the plethoras of self-help practitioners and their mantras of everything good, come to me! and the biblical, Christian perspective of placing faith in Christ.
This faith isn’t difficult to develop when I begin to understand:
- The Maker of the universe is invested in the success of my marriage—after all, our wedding vows are made before God.
- I have everything I need at my disposal to bring success in all my relationships—as Christians, we have His Spirit and the Bible.
- The greatest requirement for building a positive outlook in my marriage relationship is within myself: the power and ability to change.
- Even the destructive things that have occurred in our marriage can work toward the strengthening of our marriage if I will respond appropriately (Romans 8:28 All things work together for good to those that love God…).
- We are not alone; there are many other couples working on their relationships-—I can receive encouragement from them, as well as through great resources available for help.
Developing a positive attitude requires a clear action plan …
…that addresses our thoughts and our words. Follow these three declarations, and you will be on your way to building and experiencing the benefits of an optimistic and encouraging outlook!
- I will not complain about anything! (Ephesians 5:20, Philippians 2:14) This one step alone will change your life, and change your marriage!
- I will speak to myself encouraging words! I will speak (out loud) things that God says are true, regardless of how I feel. (Ephesians 5:19) We spend too much time listening to ourselves, and not enough time speaking to our selves!
- Every time I think of my spouse, I will pray, Lord, thank You for giving my husband/wife as your awesome gift. Help me to see the great value of your gift to me!