23 Jul 4-Part Successful Marriage Checklist
Researchers are quick to tell us that every marriage’s success is influenced by a number of factors. Here are 4 that apply to all engaged and married couples:
1. Mutual Expectations on a Variety of Issues: entering marriage agreeing what your marriage should look like.
- individual roles in the marriage (Who takes out the garbage?)
- common goals (4 kids or a condo?)
- financial arrangements (Spend or save? Who balances the books?)
2. Working Through Deal-Breakers: there are some issues that are potential deal-breakers.
- couples must agree on them, or risk destroying the relationship
- sharing common values (What? You think marriage should be a sexually open arrangement!)
- disclosure of past history (You have how many children from a past relationship?!)
- sexual expectations (Really? Your mother told you sex isn’t important in marriage!)
3. Recognizing the Needs of Your Spouse, and Meeting Them: understanding the different sets of needs that most husbands and wives have.
- a wife’s need for cherishing, meaningful communication, non-sexual touch, affirmation, security, adventure, etc
- a husband’s need for air, food, sex (just kidding, they don’t need food that much…)
4. The Character Matrix: the possession of character qualities that make a marriage thrive.
- willingness to self-sacrifice and put others first
- the ability to forgive
How does your relationship rate?
Looking for a way to improve your relationship?
If you’re engaged, check out 99 Questions Before Saying “I Do”
If you’re married, check out 7 Day Sex Challenge