30 Jan Take Care of Yourself
Take care of yourself first and you will be a better wife and mother and ensure great parenting and sex!
Loving mothers pay attention to their sexual lives.
Here are a few suggestions for you to take care of yourself:
- Subscribe to caller display and then, don’t answer the phone unless it’s someone you really need to talk to. Better yet, turn off the phone’s ringer and let your phone’s answering machine take messages for you.
- When you get requests from friends for favours, tell them that you’ll get back to them later since you and your husband have agreed to check with one another before making commitments. Don’t feel obligated to answer “yes” right away.
- Reduce stress in your life:
- Address (or, if necessary, discontinue) relationships that drain you. (ie folks who “dump on you”, take but don’t give back, ask for advice but never follow through with it.)
- Stop comparing yourself to others.
- Don’t be a perfectionist.
- Take some time just for yourself. If your husband can’t watch the children, trade babysitting time with a friend. Need some ideas for what to do with time away from the children?
- browse a bookstore or visit the library
- meet a friend for coffee
- take an art class
- take a leisurely bath
- exercise (this is also a libido booster!)
- sit down with a coffee
- get a manicure
- read a book or magazine
- sit relaxing in the sun
No doubt, you’ve heard how adults are instructed on a plane that, in an emergency, they put their own oxygen mask on before assisting anyone else. Keep this in mind as you consider whether or not you’ve been putting yourself (your needs, your sexual pleasure…) on the back burner.
Other articles in the Parenting and Sex series: